Wi-Fi outgrows as one of the essential prerequisites of our daily activities. Usually, people prefer Wi-Fi over mobile data for updating their systems and mobile apps because of the high internet speed. Lately, from the reports shared by iPhone users, it is evident that their mobile keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked.
When you update an app, the screen falls into sleep mode and gets locked after a default time. So, here you will learn the possible reasons and the easy fixes for solving “iPhone disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked.”
3 Reasons For iPhone Keeps Disconnecting From Wi-fi When Locked
Software bug: Your device might have software bugs, which result in the iPhone disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked. If you haven’t checked this issue, your iPhone gets affected by bugs, which may lead to malfunctions.
Defective Wi-Fi Signal in Your Region: A router is a device that acts as a bridge that links two or more packet-switched networks and subnetworks for establishing a connection. Using an outdated router/ modem can cause the iPhone keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked.
Wi-Fi Assist Feature: If your modem is in a dead spot, you may not receive the expected signal. Also, the Wi-Fi assist feature on your mobile device can worsen the situation by switching to a cellular network from Wi-Fi.
Go through the steps below to fix “why does my iPhone keeps disconnecting from WiFi when locked!”
9 Simple Fixes for iPhone Keeps Disconnecting From Wi-fi When Locked
1. Force Restart iPhone
The first and foremost thing you must execute when your iPhone keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked is restarting the device. This simple fix will clear the iPhone’s minor bugs. So, try to overcome the iPhone keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked.
Force resume iPhone 8 or Later:
- First, press and release the volume up button on iPhone
- Then, quickly long press the volume down button and liberate it
- Now, press the side button until the Apple logo appears on the screen
Restart on iPhone 7 or 7 Plus:
Simultaneously, press the “Volume down and Power button” until you notice the Apple logo on the screen.
On iPhone 6s and earlier:
Together, press the “Home and Power button” until the Apple logo shows up.
2. Renew DHCP Lease
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a network configuring the internet devices to communicate using the IP (Internet Protocol) address. Usually, the iPhone automatically renews your DHCP lease. But occasionally, the DHCP can not renew on its own and may cause the issue of the iPhone disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked. Here are the methods for renewing the DHCP lease
- Move to the “Settings” app → “Wi-Fi.”
- Click on the (i) icon present next to the Wi-Fi network
- Navigate and locate the “Renew lease” feature
- Now, select “Renew lease” again on the pop-up notification to confirm the renewing option
3. Forget And Rejoin The Network
When you face the issue of the iPhone keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked on a specific network ( example: home or office network), try forgetting the network and rejoining the same network. It may erase all the information related to your saved network data that might turn off the Wi-Fi when the phone is locked. Follow the below-mentioned steps to forget and rejoin the Wi-Fi network
- Open the “Settings” app on iPhone
- Click on “Wi-Fi”
- Choose the network that is the source for the iPhone keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked
- Tap the (i) icon next to the network and select “Forget this network.”
- Disable the Wi-Fi for 5-10 seconds and again enable it
- Now, click the desired network and enter the password for that Wi-Fi to link the network
4. Deactivate VPN
A Virtual Private Network extends a private network over a public network and provides a safe internet connection. But rarely, the VPN feature might be one of the reasons for the iPhone keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked. So, if you have turned on this option, disabling it will solve your problem. Follow the steps below to turn off the VPN on your phone.
- Open the “Settings” app
- Select “VPN”
- If your VPN is connected (green color on toggle switch), deactivate it
- Verify now whether the iPhone keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked is fixed.
5. Turn Off Wifi Networking
When the Wi-Fi networking services are enabled on your phone, you might end up with iPhone keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi. There are proven cases that disabling the Wi-Fi networking services may eliminate the problem of the iPhone keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked. For disabling the service, follow the steps given below
- Tap the “Settings” app on your home screen
- Scroll down and click “Privacy.”
- Find the “Location services.”
- From the sub menu, choose “System services.” You will notice the “Wi-Fi networking” option
- Turn off the option to enjoy uninterrupted Wi-Fi services
6. Deactivate Wi-fi Assist
Wi-Fi assist is an inbuilt feature that allows your iPhone to use cellular data when your Wi-Fi signals are unreliable. Also, when you experience a poor Wi-Fi environment with a fluctuating network signal, Wi-Fi assist boosts the connection on your device by connecting to your cellular network. However, turning on the Wi-Fi assist might be the starting point for the mess of your iPhone keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked. Turn off this feature by the steps below
- Open the “Settings” app on iPhone
- Select “Cellular or Mobile data.”
- Navigate downwards to find the “Wi-Fi assist” option on your device
- Turn off the option.
7. Reset Network Settings
Whenever you experience Wi-Fi or cellular problems, resetting your network will significantly help you from iPhone disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked. Resuming the settings will delete all your saved connections and passwords. Hence, it is recommended to have a backup of your saved data.
Here are the steps involved to reset the network settings when iPhone keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi:
For iOS 15 or Later versions
- Open “Settings” on your home screen
- Tap the “General” option
- Scroll down the menu and select “Transfer or Reset iPhone” on the screen
- Click the “Reset” option and choose “Reset Network Settings.”
- Wait for your system to reboot
- After rebooting, connect to your Wi-Fi network and enter the password
For iOS 14 or Earlier
- Move to the “Settings” → “General.”
- Scroll down and choose “Reset.”
- Under the reset option, select “Reset network settings” on the screen
- Your device automatically reboots to make the changes
- Wait until the reboot process is completed and reconnect to your Wi-Fi
8. Restart Router
Sometimes, routers may cause problems with the iPhone keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked. So, examining the Wi-Fi hardware will be a great way to solve your problem. Restarting your router is a simple fix and requires no technical knowledge.
You can turn off the router by pressing the on/off button. You can also pull out the power cable to unplug the router’s power. Switch off your modem for about a minute, then turn it on. Your router may now give an uninterrupted connection to your device.
9. Update iPhone
Software bugs on your iPhone create network defects and cause iPhone disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked. Updating your iPhone resolves software-related bugs and other malfunctions on your device. Hence keep your gadgets updated to fix iPhone that keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked. Here are the steps to update OS on your iPhone
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone
- Select “General”
- Choose “Software Update”
- Download the update and install it
You are among the many facing the mess of iPhone disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked. Try not to get frustrated and go through all the above fixes to clear up the issue. This article gives a clear picture of why the iPhone keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi when locked and the easy ways to solve it. Ensure to carry out all the steps cautiously to save your data from getting lost.